Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Food Narrative

Based on my observations during my food practicum, and the week that followed, I have noticed a trend in my eating habits. Since becoming a pescatarian, I have learned more and more about how much meat our society sneaks into food. Now when I go to a restaurant I have to specifically ask if anything I order (even salad) secretly has meat. This has gotten a wide range of responses that constantly reminds me how carnivorous our society really is (KFC Double Down anyone?). This is particularly true in the O.R. where I have been forced to utilize my shameful Spanish (Tiene carne?). This aspect of my diet I have learned to cope with, but the more I learn the more complicated my food life gets. Unfortunately, my food sources have not evolved with my education. Thus I realized just how little control I have over what goes in my own mouth. Lately I have been on a health kick, not eating meat just isn’t enough (after all I am about to go stuff my face at Catfish Fryday). I’ve also been trying to think more about the environmental impact of my food since learning so much about it in the past couple of years. Unfortunately, when I walk into the O.R., my new lease on life is forced out the window. Sometimes Vegan Steve is able to provide something that doesn’t make me instantly lethargic, but even then the ingredients are usually from Mexico or farther. My friends and I always bring up the topic of being able to cook for ourselves next year as we’re chowing down on our sixth piece of pizza of the week. But will it really be any different? We will always be limited by finances and convenience. Will we really have time to peruse the farmer’s market? Or the time to properly sauté our seasonal veggies into deliciously healthy meals? Or will we end up with a bargain priced 8 pack of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and a beer belly the size of our carbon footprint? I learned that for as much as I blame my bad food habits on the Loyola dining services, I am a culprit as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment