Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Food.

For my food practicum, I visited Winn Dixie, Rouses, and Captain Sids, which are all located around my house. I found the set up of each to be very different. Winn Dixie had the most current theme presented by the door, "Fresh strawberries" and "Saints Football cakes." The "fresh" food located to the right did not look that appealing and there didn't seem to be much of a selection. The service was a disappointment, as none of the workers could provide me with any information about the food. Rouses, a local grocery store, had stickers on their windows from different children that supported the store? The cashiers were right in the front, which causes the customers to walk all the way around through the flower section right by the fruits and vegetables. Although their section was still not big, it looked more appealing than Winn Dixie. My final stop, Captain Sids is a local seafood market located by the lakefront. Right when i walked in I noticed the smell of boiled crawfish. The presentation of all the items made it obviously they had been made there or somewhere near by. Most of the labels included "boiled" or "spicy." The few workers all seem to know about the seafood they were selling. Since it is crawfish season, most of the crawfish was caught by local fisherman around the Pearl River area. If I were to base my food knowledge off of these three markets, I would have to say local is definitely better. I prefer the people that are selling me food to know a little about it. The overall "feel" of Rouses and Captain Sids was just better in general. Although the food did not look great at any of the places, I would rather it be less appealing from some place that I know it will at least taste fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment